Monday, June 23, 2014

Ben Colley finished 5th at the Grand Prix Arena



By John Harvey
johnharveysports@gmailcom

SANTA CLARA, California – Former Lafayette High swimming standout Ben Colley finished fifth Sunday night at the Arena Grand Prix at Santa Clara at the George F. Haines International Swim Center.

“My race felt pretty good for me,” Colley said. “It was within two-tenths of a second of my lifetime best and for where I’m at in my training, I’m pleased with how I did.”

Colley said he plans to compete in several more events for the North Carolina Aquatic Club this summer, including the 2014 Phillips 66 Summer Nationals Championships held in Irvine, California. “Going into (last week’s) meet, I was looking to make the “A” final, which I swam well enough in the morning to make. I use the finals swim as a preparation for nationals. That will be the final meet, which I will fully taper for and try to qualify for some international meets.”

Not bad for a swimmer who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes less than a year ago. The disease was detected last September during the start of his sophomore year at the University of North Carolina. 

According to the American Diabetes Association, Type 1 diabetes is usually identified in children and young adults.The body does not produce insulin, which is needed to convert sugar, starches and other food into energy needed for daily life. Treatment consists of daily insulin injections and other treatments to help overcome the problem.

“It was pretty shocking news, but I had a great support system with my teammates and trainers and coaches that made it a very easy transition,” Colley said. “The toughest part for me is thinking about what I’m eating every time I eat and how much insulin to take because of it. It’s extremely manageable, as long as you can stay on top of it, which I feel, that I’ve done a good job so far.”

Colley set the school record in the 200-yard butterfly (1:42.19) in February.  He also ranks in the top 10 in three different events in UNC history, including fourth in the 100 backstroke and fifth in the 100 butterfly.

He posted three top 10 finishes at the Atlantic Coast Conference championships, including a fourth-place effort in the 200 fly (1:44.63). Colley finished 10th in the 100 butterfly (47.72) and the 100 backstroke (47.75) At the NCAA championships, Colley finished 20th in the 200 butterfly and 34th in the 100 butterfly.

“I don’t think it’s hindered my swimming at all,” Colley said. If anything it has made me more conscious of the food I eat and properly taking care of my body. When I’m in a routine, which swimming forces me to be in, it’s easy to control.”

Contact John Harvey at johnharveysports@gmail.com or via Twitter @JohnHarveySport.

No comments:

Post a Comment