Monday, June 23, 2014

Former W&M swimmer wins bracelet at World Series of Poker



By John Harvey


LAS VEGAS – Brandon Paster captured his first World Series of Poker bracelet last week during the $1,500 Pot-Limit Omaha event during the 2014 event held at the Rio in Las Vegas.

Paster graduated from the College of William and Mary in 2008 with a degree in Economics. He was also a member of the Tribe swimming and diving team for two years.

W&M swim coach Matt Crispino never coached Paster, but did get to know him during his time on campus. “He is unbelievably bright and has extraordinary intellect and analytical skills,” Crispino said. “I don’t know much about him as an athlete, but as a person, you could tell he was motivated to take his poker to a higher level.”

Crispino said that Paster developed his love of poker in college. “He didn’t stay with swimming all four years,” the W&M coach said. “He was making a living playing online poker until they abolished it in the United States.”

He turned professional in 2010 and has achieved some success. In 2011, he cashed in his first WSOP event, placing 25th in $1,500 Pot-Limit Omaha event. He won $8,848.

Three years later, he won his first WSOP event. Paster outdueled the Netherland’s Marcel Volk heads-up to win $264,400 in prize money.

“This is the best thing that has ever happened to me,” Paster told PokerNews.com following his win.  “I ran pretty pure. I had a good tournament straight through. I got it in real good, go beat real bad and then ran it up.”

Paster, who lives in Massachusetts, said he only planned to play in three WSOP events this year. His final tournament will begin Tuesday, the Pot-Limit Omaha Hi-Low Split-8 or Better event.

“I’m going to keep doing what I want to do,” he said. “Traveling around, playing a tournament here or there, where I can. I just want to see the world. I’ve got everything I want, so I just want to travel.”

Harvey can be reached at johnharveysports@gmail.com or via Twitter @Johnharveysport.

No comments:

Post a Comment