Thursday, August 7, 2014

Ben Colley sets personal best at Phillips 66 National Championships



By John Harvey

Ben Colley
IRVINE, Cali. – Last summer, Ben Colley went to the USA Swimming National championships to learn how to compete in high-profile meets.

The former Lafayette High standout showed he’s ready to compete with the best in the country Wednesday night at the Phillips 66 National Championships at William Woollett Jr. Aquatic Center in California.

Colley finished ninth in the preliminary rounds with a time of 1 minute 57.81seconds, missing the A heat finals by just one-one hundredth of a second.

“Prelims were a little disappointing because I was so close to getting my goal for the whole summer,” he said. “I was visibly upset, so after my race, my coaches pulled me aside and let me know that I had another chance.”

Colley competed in the B finals and didn’t disappoint. The University of North Carolina product ran away from the field with a winning time of 1:56.54. The mark was the fourth best time posted in the United States this season and ranked 16th best in the world.

“The time at the finals was great for me,” he said. “My coaches told me to swim more aggressive at night. I ended up with a new personal best and Top 20 in the World, still I’m a little disappointed I couldn’t sneak in the “A” final.”

Colley said that he really dedicated himself to swimming this summer. He stayed in Chapel Hill and worked out with his coaches a lot. “I wanted to see what I could do training full-time in the summer,” he said. “I think the biggest difference was my strength training and I stayed on the schedule that we do all year, as opposed to swimming less during the summer.”

Colley’s work at Nationals isn’t done. He’s scheduled to participate in the 50 butterfly on Thursday and compete in the 100 butterfly on Friday.

Contact me at HarveySports757@yahoo.com or @HarveySports757 via Twitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment