Thursday, August 14, 2014

Former WCA basketball players enroll at Walsingham Academy



By John Harvey

Stephanie and Mark Seaman enroll at Walsingham.
WILLIAMSBURG – Mark and Stephanie Seaman, standout athletes at Williamsburg Christian Academy, have enrolled at Walsingham Academy for the upcoming school year.

The siblings made the decision final this week and will be eligible to participate for the Trojans starting this fall. Stephanie, an all-state basketball and field hockey player, will play both sports at Walsingham. Mark will play varsity basketball for legendary coach Billy Barnes.

“My family and I felt that it was time for (the two of us) to experience new academic and creative opportunities and build new friendships,” Mark said. “We’re so excited for the athletic and academic motivation we will receive at Walsingham.”

Stephanie Seaman said the majority of her friends and teammates at Williamsburg Christian last year were seniors, so she believed the time was right to make the switch. “I was ready for a change,” she said. “I love the Barnes’ family and I have been friends with (senior) Ashley and playing with her since we were really young.”

Stephanie scored more than 20 goals last season for the Eagles field hockey team, leading them to a state tournament berth. She’s also surpassed the 1,000-point plateau in two seasons at WCA and was a member of back-to-back state tournament final teams. Seaman, who is classified as a sophomore, is expected to earn starting roles on both teams.

“I'm really looking forward to a new set of girls to go and compete with on the field and the court,” she said. “My new teammates are so welcoming, and I love them already. It’s going to be a great season.”

Mark was a two-year starter at guard for Williamsburg Christian’s basketball teams. He averaged more than 16 points a game last season and earned all-state honors.

“I’m looking forward to seeing and meeting new people in a new school and competing in a more competitive conference (TCIS),” Mark said. “I/m really going to miss Coach (Chris) Gann because I grew up in basketball under his coaching and mentorship “

Mark should fit in nicely at Walsingham alongside Kai Brown, Thomas Chisam and James West. “It’ll be hard leaving a school that I’ve had such great memories in since kindergarten,” he said. “But I know I will maintain those long-lasting relationships and continue to encourage their success.”

Contact me at HarveySports757@yahoo.com or @HarveySports757 via Twitter.



No comments:

Post a Comment