Friday, August 1, 2014

Jamestown's Madisen Kopfer verbally commits to Vermont for field hockey


By John Harvey
                  
JAMES CITY – Madisen Kopfer has verbally committed to play field hockey at the University of Vermont.

The senior forward made the decision this summer prior to leaving for the National Club Field Hockey championships in Pennsylvania. Kopfer’s team, Focus Field Hockey, finished sixth out of 19 teams in their age group.

Kopfer said she looked at approximately 30 schools, but said Vermont was where she wanted to be. “I really liked the city of Burlington,” she said. “It’s very beautiful with a variety of people and things to do, without being too big. The same can be said about the school. Academically, everything I want is offered.”

She plans on studying science, study abroad and play hockey collegiately. “I really wanted a program were I would get to play,” she said. “In May, I had several firm offers and was really nervous about making a decision.”

Vermont coach Kate Pfeifer, who had been an assistant at Northeastern, met with Kopfer last September when she went up for a game. When Pfeifer took the Catamounts job in January, Kopfer said she remained in contact with Pfeifer. She went on an unofficial visit in April and continued to stay in contact.

“She was one of the draws of that program,” Kopfer said. “It’s really exciting to come into a ‘new’ program. She is a great coach and I can’t wait for all the things we are going to accomplish.”

Another bonus for Kopfer is the chance to play right away. “My goal is to be a starter and have as much playing time as possible,” she said. “Fitness is very important to the coaches and I am going to spend the time before next summer maintaining mine and working on play suggestions they gave me.”

Kopfer said she’s happy. “It’s great to have the decision out of the way,” she said. “I was one of the last (players) at my club to verbally commit. I didn’t want to decided and make it official, but my mom said I needed to go for it and stop worry about it. When I got to camp and me the other (recruits), it just felt right.”

Contact me at HarveySports757@yahoo.com or @HarveySports757 on Twitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment