Thursday, July 10, 2014

Dan Downs steps downs as Lafayette boys basketball coach



By John Harvey

JAMES CITY – For the third time in three years, Lafayette High’s boys basket
ball program is in search of a coach.

Dan Downs has stepped down as coach after one season with the Rams. The position was posted on the Williamsburg-James City County School division’s site on Wednesday morning.

Downs guided the Rams to a 10-12 record in his only season on the Lafayette bench. The team posted a 7-2 record in the Colonial Rivers Conference 25 and lost to New Kent in the conference tournament semifinals.

He said the decision to step down was personal. "I had a tough decision to make regarding my family," he explained. "My wife decided to return to work after a year off with our two boys and we knew the time commitments would be hard. Out of fairness to them and the team, I thought it would be best if I took a step back for a couple of years while my boys are young in the hopes that I would some day return to being a head coach."

Downs was named coach at Lafayette nearly a year ago. He replaced Patrick Brown, who had stepped down after the 2013 season to spend more time with his family.

Downs will remain with the program, serving this winter as an assistant coach. "I loved my time as Lafayette's boys basketball coach," he sad. "I had a great support from athletic director Dan Barner, the administration and my coaching staff Leonard Marble and Jeff Mitchell. Thankfully Mr. Barner allowed me to remain on the coaching staff." 

The Rams should return three starters from last year’s team including rising juniors Tyrek Graham, C.J. Miller and rising senior Bryce Losty.

“He was a very personable coach and he always respected the opinions of his player,” Losty said. “He also brought a great source of energy.”

Contact me at HarveySports757@yahoo.com  or via Twitter @HarveySports757.

No comments:

Post a Comment