Thursday, July 10, 2014

Williamsburg Post 39 rolls to 13th straight win


By John Harvey
 
JAMES CITY – Clutch hitting and dominant pitching have been the trademark for Williamsburg Post 39’s baseball team this summer.

The Wildflowers added another to chapter to the championship run Wednesday night during an 11-1 victory over Gloucester Post 75 in seven innings to clinch their fourth straight District 3 regular season title.

Mike Anerton had three hits with three runs score and an RBI to lead Post 39. “I feel very comfortable at the plate,” he said. “With the type of protection and power in this lineup, everybody at any given time, can come through. I’m just trying to take smart at bats and when I get a good itch, I felt I’ve delivered.”

Williamsburg scored six runs in the first three innings and never looked back en route to their 13th straight victory. Eight different batters posted hits and six others scored runs.

Tyler Klinedinst and Solomon McCray went 2-for-4 with two runs scored. Liam Lowery went 1-for-4 with two runs scored and drove in a pair.

“Offensively, we were able to work the count and raise their starters pitch count,” Anerton said. “Later, we became aggressive and came up with timely hits.”

Matt Smith was equally dominant on the hill. The William and Mary product allowed one run on four hits and struck out eight to improve his record to 4-0. For the summer, he’s allowed just 17 hits in 23 innings and struck out 39 batters.

“I’ve been able to work both sides of the plate and mix in a slider,” Smith said. “I’ve been throwing pretty hard to. I know that I have a good defense behind me and that I’ll get plenty of run-support.”

Williamsburg will return to action Monday when the host a doubleheader against South Richmond Post 137.  Game time is 6:30 p.m.

Contact me at HarveySports757@yahoo.com or via Twitter @HarveySports757.




No comments:

Post a Comment