Sunday, July 27, 2014

Briana Sutton wins beach volleyball title



By John Harvey
              
VIRGINIA BEACH – In a month, Briana Sutton and her Christopher Newport University volleyball team will kick off its 2014 season with a doubleheader against Keene State and Washington & Lee University.

The former Jamestown High standout geared up for her second season of college volleyball with a victory during the Virginia Beach Open held this weekend on the Oceanfront. Sutton teamed with Andrew Thompson to win the co-ed beach volleyball tournament. Thompson is the president of the men’s volleyball club at CNU.

“I’ve entered probably a total of ten (events) or so, and I’ve only won two,” Sutton said. “Improvement was my main focus this summer. I want to take my game and my fitness to another level.”

The offseason work regimen has paid off. Sutton has embraced CNU’s weightlifting program and beach training program, which has allowed her to dramatically reduce her (body) fat percentage and increase strength and vertical leap.

“Playing beach is a completely different game from indoor,” she explained. “It’s purely an athletic game and teaches you that perfect form isn’t always the answer. It’s the effort and intelligent play. It doesn’t translate exactly, but it makes you quick and jump higher.”
Sutton said she’s played about five tournaments this summer and can’t get enough of it.
“I've always loved the beach,” she said. “I’m like a child on the courts. I'm always dragging my feet in the sand and I love being humbled on the beach. You can't just swing away and expect to win using strength. You have to focus and think of a way to win against that specific team.”
Sutton can’t wait for her college season to start. As a freshman, she was a consistent contributor to a Captain’s squad which reached the second round of the NCAA Division III tournament.
She plans to continue to refine her craft on the beach after her college days are done. “I plan on eventually playing more (beach volleyball) than indoor,” Sutton said. It’s better on your joints and it shows you how much you can improve. Some people think they can’t get any better, but this shows everyone a whole new level.”
Contact me at HarveySports757@yahoo.com or via Twitter @HarveySports757.
                                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment