Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Bruton alums try out for American Idol in RIchmond



By John Harvey

RICHMOND – Ashley Goldsmith ad Kirstie Dickerson graduated from Bruton High School in 2008.

Six years later, the two best friends embarked on another life-changing experience, auditioning for American Idol Tuesday afternoon in Richmond.

We have talked about auditioning since we were freshman in high school 10 years ago,” Goldsmith said. “We just never had the chance to make it to any auditions. Today was both of our first auditions. I love the show and watch it almost every season. The auditions are my favorite to watch, seeing how everyone else handles their nerves.”

Nerves have never been a problem for either Goldsmith or Dickerson.  Goldsmith’s husband is in the Navy and is stationed in Guam. Dickerson‘s husband is a Marine and is stationed in California.

I've had to put school and my family first all these years,” said Goldsmith, a mother of two young children. “I am very blessed for the obstacles I have overcome. With my husband being overseas to finding out about our youngest having partial hearing loss without my husband’s support here with me. I was hoping I would make it so once my husband came home next month I could have this wonderful surprise waiting for him.

Dickerson is the mother of three young children, ages 10 ½ months to 4 years. In addition, she just graduated from Animal Behavior College and is now a certified veterinarian assistant. She hopes to one day start her own business.

“I could not have asked for better circumstances when it comes to the paths I've taken and choices I've made,” she said. “I'm truly blessed.”

On Tuesday, the two friends made the trek down Interstate 64 West with hopes of being discovered. They arrived in Richmond around 3:30 a.m. and found their place in line. They were not the first in line as nearly 150 people were already waiting in line.

After a six hour wait, it was show time. Dickerson went first and performed “Young” by country artist Chris Young, in front of a group of producers in the outside location.

Goldsmith followed her long-time friend, performing Sara Evans’ “A Real Fine Place to Star”.  

“I was a little nervous about auditioning, but once I stepped forward and said my name, the song and the nerves went away,” she said. “They told me that I did great, but it was just not what they were looking for at the time.”

Goldsmith said that approximately 5 or 6 performers made it to the next round while she was at the audition. “They were ecstatic,” she said. “One guy, once he made it, came over to all of the rows of people lined up and made sure to tell everyone “Good luck” and to “Try your best”.

Although they didn’t advance to the next round, they two friends won’t soon forget the experience.

“We weren’t crushed we did not make it,” Dickerson said. “We were just happy to have done it and to have met some wonderful people along the way. It was truly a unique experience.”
                                                                                                       
Contact me at HarveySports757@yahoo.com or via Twitter @HarveySports757.


No comments:

Post a Comment