Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Lafayette's Trey Neville flying high after Top Gun camp



By John Harvey
              
Lafayette's Trey Neville
DUBLIN, OHIO – Trey Neville was all smiles after participating last week in Football University’s prestigious “Top Gun Camp” last week at Dublin High in Ohio.

The Lafayette High product was one of nearly 800 prospects from around the country to take part in this invitation only camp, which featured some of the top high school players in the country

“It went well,” Neville said. “I played well and was given a lot of feedback from different coaches, most of who played in the NFL.”

Neville is making the transition  to tight end after starring as a defensive end last fall at Jamestown High School. He was mentored by former Pro Bowl wideout Billy “White Shoes” Johnson, who played for the Houston Oilers, Atlanta Falcons and Washington Redskins.

“He was a real good coach and a pretty funny guy,” Neville said. “I learned a lot about routes and using the defense to determine how to run my routes. The coaches talked a lot about playing off the corners movements and using my height and size to box out defenders and go up and get the ball.”

The rising junior was a quick study. “Probably the best experience I had at Top Gun was taking a jump ball away from a safety that had committed to LSU,” he said.

Neville said that Top Gun was just what he needed heading into fall practice. “It definitely prepared me better for the start of the season, he said. “It really put me in a competitive state of mind and really gets me excited.”

Contact me at HarveySports757@yahoo.com or via Twitter @HarveySports757.
                                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment