Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Jamestown's Emily Salamy competed at the USGA Girls Junior Championships



By John Harvey
                                           
Emily Salamy shot a 154 at the USGA Girls Junior tourney.
FLAGSTAFF  – High school golf tryouts start next week, but Emily Salamy’s preseason workout started early.
                                      
The Jamestown High senior began preparation for the season last week by participating in the United States Golf Association Girls Junior championships held at Forest Highlands Golf Club in Flagstaff, Arizona.

Salamy missed the cut by just four strokes against some of the top young golfers in the country. She struggled on Day 1, shooting an 80 but bounced back with a 2-over-par 74 on Day 2 of the tournament.

“Day 1 was a bit of a mental struggle for me,” Salamy said. “Sometimes I have mental lapses and that was one of them. I learned from my mistakes and came back with a much more solid game on the second day.”

Last week’s tournament was a reunion of sorts for Salamy. A regular on the USGA Junior National tournament since she was 8 years old, the rising senior got a chance to play alongside friends from all over the country.

“It’s actually kind of funny thinking about the girls I played with as the top golfers in the world, because I’ve played with most of them since I was a kid,” she said. “Both of the girls that were in the championship match, I played with in a couple of Junior World Championships when we were like 11. The best part of it was that I got to see girls who I haven’t seen in years. It was like some crazy reunion.”

Salamy returned to Virginia this week and is now focused on her final high school season. Practice starts in a few days and the all-state performer is ready for a memorable senior season.

“This tournament definitely made my mental game strong and increased my drive to practice,” she said. “Experiences like this are priceless and have definitely made me ready for the upcoming season.”

Contact me at HarveySports757@yahoo.com or via Twitter @HarveySports757.

No comments:

Post a Comment