Thursday, July 3, 2014

Seniors ready for final game as VHSCA all-stars



By John Harvey

WILLIAMSBURG – Five athletes from greater Williamsburg will make their final high school appearance next week in the Virginia High School Coaches Association All-Star tournament held in Lynchburg.
 
Jamestown’s Matthew Cullom, Noah Pescara an Aaliyah Lyttle, Lafayette’s Keyana Brown and Bruton’s Marcus Carter will represent the East squads in their respective sports.

“It’s a big honor to have been chosen to play in the all-star game ad it means a lot because I’m the next in my family to participate in it,” said Brown, who’s cousin, Pierre Brown, represented Jamestown in 2007. “I’m looking forward to having a good time and celebrating a great honor with everyone else who was given the opportunity.”

Brown finished her high school career with more than 2,500 points between Williamsburg Christian Academy and Lafayette. As a senior, the 5-foot-11 guard led the Bay Rivers District in scoring and was a first-team Colonial Rivers Conference 25 and Group 3A East selection averaging 23.3 points, 9.2 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 4.7 steals in district play.

The Old Dominion University signee will play at 6 p.m. on Monday, July 7 at Lynchburg College’s Turner Gymnasium. “I’m ready for the next stage in my life and to give my giving’s to ODU,” she said. “We’re working hard to do great things.”

Carter capped off a sensational career at Bruton, leading the Panthers to its third state tournament final appearance.

The 6-foot-2 senior guard averaged more than 18 points and six rebound a game this year to earn his team back-to-back state tournament appearances. Bruton finished the year with a 26-2 record and lost to Dan River in the Group 2A state title game.

The University of Maryland-Eastern Shore signee will be joined by high school coach Joe Dillard on the East bench during Monday’s 8 p.m. game at Lynchburg College.

“It’s going to be great to play in it,” Carter said. “My last game was with my family, my team, at VCU. This is just another nice way to actually end my high school basketball for good.”

Lyttle was introduced to soccer through a Community Partnership with James City County and the Williamsburg Soccer Club. Twelve years later, she is one of the top high school players in Virginia and has earned a college scholarship at Virginia Military Institute.

“I’m grateful to have been chosen to play and represent our area,” Lyttle said. “I look forward to the competition that my team and I have to battle against. The final game for high school will be a bit sad, but I’m ready to further my career and education at VMI, so it won’t be so bad.”

The Jamestown High senior forward scored 16 goals and eight assists as the Eagles reached the Group 4A South regional semifinals. She will play her final high school game on Wednesday, July 8 at 5:30 p.m. at Liberty University’s Osborne Stadium.

Pescara and Cullom were key contributors for a Jamestown team that won the Bay Rivers District title and reached the Group 4A semifinals.  The two will be reunited Wednesday night at 7:30 p.m. on the East team.

Pescara excelled as a primary scoring option up top, netting a team-high eight goals and eight assists. He earned Conference 19 and Group 4A South honors.

“It will mean a lot to represent the East,” Pescara said. “I’m looking forward to playing with very good competition and mainly, just having fun.”

Cullom was the anchor of a Jamestown defense that surrendered just one goal or less in 13 of 14 games.

“I’m honored to be chosen and extremely excite to represent Jamestown one last time,” Cullom said. “I’m looking forward to playing with Noah and other all-stars from my club team for the last time. There’s no better way to spend your last game than surrounded by the best in the state.”

Contact me at HarveySports757@yahoo.com or via Twitter at HarveySports757.

No comments:

Post a Comment